When you think of healthy eating, Caramel Blondies are probably not very high on your list.
So after promising in my last post to resume my tasty/easy/healthy recipes, you might be wondering what the hell my problem is.
Allow me to explain – I made these Blondies weeks ago, prior to my big European trip. And since I barely managed to pack before leaving (see here) and have been really busy since returning home, I just haven’t gotten around to sharing them. Yes, you’re correct in assuming that these definitely aren’t healthy. But they are mega tasty, and they’re easy to bake too. So while Caramel Blondies don’t fill all the aforementioned promises, two out of three ain’t bad.
So wipe that frown off your face and throw on a maxi dress – We’re doing this!
Getting back to my regular routine has never been more arduous as it’s been this past week. Going to work instead of lounging in cafes? Not so appealing. Hitting the gym over dancing at beach clubs? No thank you. Having to watch your diet again because you’re back at home and calories don’t count on vacation? Freakin’ awful.
I know I sound grouchy, but in reality it’s not all bad. Sure, NYC is a god damn swamp right now, and Summer TV is worthless, and I think I’m going to pull my hair out if I hear the name “North West” one. more. time. But I’m also happy to be back on the blog, back in my kitchen, and finally sharing these amazing Caramel Blondies.
So how did I come up with this delightful little dessert? You can thank my Dad for these delicious gems.
Back in June I offered to make my Dad something special for Father’s Day, and Blondies were his food of choice. Obviously going the traditional route was not an option, so I decided to make this recipe my own by incorporating caramel into the mix. Making desserts from scratch is hardly my forte, but when your dear old Dad makes a request, you step up to the plate.
I was relieved to find that Blondies are pretty easy to bake, requiring only your basic flour/butter/ sugar/eggs combo. The one part of this recipe that took a little extra effort was incorporating the chocolate chips – this batter is thick, so you’ll really need to flex those muscles to fold them in! After that though everything was a breeze – weave in some caramel sauce, pop ’em in the oven, and you’re good to go!
These Caramel Blondies are more of a blonde/brunette color, but the flavor is all there. Gooey, soft and sweet with mellow hints of caramel, they were an undeniable hit! My Dad absolutely loved them, leaving the rest of us to compete for a piece.. or two… or three!
They may not be your mini skirt’s best friend, but Caramel Blondies are definitely a treat worth splurging on. For a more Summer feel, serve them a’la mode for a cool creamy combo your friends can’t resist 😉
Yield: 12 servings
Prep Time: 15 mins
Cook Time: 30 mins
Total Time: 45 mins
- 1 1/2 cups All Purpose Flour (Sifted)
- 1 1/2 cups Light Brown Sugar
- 1 1/2 sticks Salted Butter (Melted)
- 2 Large Eggs
- 1 tsp Vanilla Extract
- 1/2 tsp Baking Soda
- 1 1/4 cups Chocolate Chips
- 1/4 cup Caramel Sauce - approx. (I used Smucker's)
- Crisco to grease
- Slice butter into squares and melt in microwave for ~45 seconds. Transfer to large bowl.
- Using electric mixer, on low-speed combine butter, brown sugar, vanilla, and eggs, blending well. Next add in flour and baking soda, mixing on medium-speed until a smooth, thick batter is formed. When batter is ready, use wooden spoon to fold in chocolate chips.
- Evenly distribute batter into well greased baking pan. Using a knife, drizzle caramel sauce on top of batter, then lightly weave into dough. Drizzle with caramel once more, leaving a visible ribbon before baking.
- Bake at 350F for 30 minutes until a toothpick can be inserted into the center and comes out clean. Allow to cool thoroughly, then plate and serve.