Simple Eggplant Tower
Part of being a dedicated foodie is being resourceful. Sometimes you just have to work with what you’ve got, and last night’s dinner was one of them. With an eggplant in my refrigerator, a jar of sauce in my cabinet, and some leftover mascarpone from last week’s tartlets, I decided I had all the ammunition I needed to cook up something great. Quick and easy, tasty and healthy, I will definitely be repeating this impromptu Eggplant Tower!
- 4 Eggplant Slices
- 1 Egg (or 2 Egg Whites)
- ⅓ cup Whole Wheat Panko Bread Crumbs
- ½ cup Marinara Sauce
- 2 ½ tbsps Mascarpone Cheese
- 4 tsps Grated Parmesan (optional)
- 2 tbsps Balsamic Vinegar
- Sea Salt, Coarse Black Peppercorn, Rosemary & Oregano to season
- PAM Cooking Spray to coat
- Slice eggplant into thick discs, then season with salt and pepper. In two small bowls, whisk egg in one and combine panko with rosemary and oregano in the other. Dip eggplant into egg, then panko mix, before placing on generously coated cooking tray. Roast in oven at 450F for 12 minutes.
- Remove eggplant from oven, using thin metal spatula to remove from tray. Place on spare dish, turning over each slice as you plate. With browned-side up, layer each slice with mascarpone and marinara. Recoat cooking tray, then return eggplant to oven for another 10 minutes. While eggplant bakes, heat balsamic vinegar on stovetop over low-flame, allowing it to smoke but not boil. With approximately 2 minutes left, sprinkle each slice with grated parmesan, if desired.
- When completely cooked, remove eggplant from oven, placing one slice on top of another to create a tower. Drizzle with balsamic reduction, and serve!