Ultimate Bourbon Chicken Pizza
I think this might be the greatest sweet & savory concoction I’ve ever made.
And you know that means a lot coming from me, as my sweet & savory standards are impossibly snooty.
But this? THIS is what dreams are made of.
Sure, let’s do it.
The best thing that’s ever happened ever (for now) all started with a simple bag of Perdue Bourbon Glazed Chicken Chunks. I’ve had them lying around my freezer for a few months now, but for whatever reason decided to ignore them every chance I got. Well, that was a huuuggge mistake.
Yes, I’m actually admitting to being wrong – you shocked, Dave? – because good lord what was I waiting for?! These babies are heavenly!! I had found the sweet & savory holy grail, and it was under my damn nose the entire time.
It figures, ya know? Alanis Morissette style.
At first I simply microwaved a few chunks to get a taste for where they could go. Then I had half a bite and realized these could literally go anywhere, specifically into my mouth at lightening speed. Like, I could barely wait for batch #2 to finish cooking. As in, I ripped them from the microwave when they were only kinda/sorta done. AKA, I ate some half-frozen chicken. Which MEANS… I am officially insane.
But hey, they were still good.
Once I collected my thoughts and my last shreds of dignity, I decided that eating these a la carte was not putting them to their best use. Yes, they were still outrageous, but they could be more. More delicious. More amazing. More everything! I could make these shine brighter than a gold medal covered in Sochi snow!
(that makes no sense)
I could make them into the most ultimate pizza ever!!
Since the chicken is already completely major, all I needed were a few complimenting elements to make things ultimate. The bourbon glaze had me automatically thinking of a caramelized onion/cheddar cheese combo, so I went with my gut and did just that. At first I considered doing a sandwich, then a quesadilla, but eventually settled on a pizza, because pizza = greatness. But since America is all about freedom, reincarnate this trio anyway you like – I’m pretty sure it’d taste good on cardboard.
And PS – I had leftovers for breakfast.
Ultimate Bourbon Chicken Pizza
Yield: 6 - 8 servings
Prep Time: 20 mins
Cook Time: 20 mins
Total Time: 40 mins
- 1 lb Refrigerated Pizza Dough
- 1 lb Perdue Bourbon Glazed Chicken Chunks
- 1 1/4 cups Part Skim Shredded Cheddar Cheese
- 2 Medium Red Onions
- 1 tbsp + 1 tsp Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1/2 tsp Sea Salt & Coarse Black Peppercorn - approx.
- Cooking spray to grease
- Flour to roll out dough
- Fresh Parsley to garnish (optional)
- Remove dough from refrigerator and let thaw until needed, ~20 minutes.
- On cutting board slice red onions into thin strips. In large skillet, saute onions in 2 tsps EVOO over medium flame, gently seasoning with salt & pepper as they soften. Stir regularly until lightly caramelized (~20 minutes) then remove from heat.
- While onions cook, evenly space frozen chicken on microwave safe plate. Microwave for 1 minute - 90 seconds until warm but not fully heated, then remove. With a sharp knife slice chicken into strips, then set aside.
- When ready, amply flour counter before rolling out dough into 12 inch diameter. Transfer dough to lightly greased pizza sheet, then drizzle the center with 1 tsp EVOO, spreading well with a basting brush. Next, evenly build a thin layer of red onions, then a circle of sliced chicken. Top with cheddar cheese, then fold over the hanging edges to create a crust. Brush last remaining tsp EVOO over crust.
- Bake pizza at 425F for 15 - 20mins until crust has cooked and cheese has melted. Immediately plate and serve, garnishing with fresh parsley if desired.
>> Make sure dough is refrigerated before using – if you buy frozen dough, transfer to fridge 24 hours before cooking.
>> Dough is best rolled thin with a rolling pin.
>> I used a Garlic Herb Dough (that's all Trader Joe's had!), but plain or whole wheat would work fine.
>> Nutrition facts are based on 8 servings.
Calories: 275 Fat: 9g Carbohydrates: 35g Protein: 14g
*I received these Bourbon Glazed Chicken from Perdue. All commentary and opinions are my own.
I love this in so many ways.